Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ted Haggard: Back in the News - Found in connection with THIS BEAUTIFUL CITY

Ted Haggard is back in Colorado Springs! He started a new church and is working on re-integrating himself into the fabric of the city.

Here are a few great excerpts from a recent revealing feature about him in GQ HERE:

On family:
'"Our lives have returned to normal," [Ted] declares, sliding a marshmallow onto a skewer. "We're starting to do the things we did before, because we're getting a grip on life again."
Elliott, a high school junior with moppish hair and the quiet confidence of a cool-crowd kid, rolls his eyes in a Dad, come onnnnn way. "I don't think our family has a normal anymore," he says.
"Yeah," Ted says, laughing. "It's a pretty dynamic situation."'

On New Life Church:
'Ted obediently signed the agreement, but he now believes it was excessively harsh treatment for a family in the midst of a major crisis—especially since, well, isn't providing mercy for sinners sort of the entire point of Christianity?
"I used to think the church was the light of the world," Ted says. "But I've completely lost my faith in it."
Ted's complaints about New Life are old news to anyone who's been following his saga, but tonight, when I ask him if he really means to say completely, he stops and looks at the sky already starting to lighten.
"You've got to understand, Kevin, people are, at their cores, hateful," he says, rising to stamp out the fire's embers and go to bed. "I don't want to believe that, but the facts have prevailed over my idealism."'

and last but not least, On Sexuality: -
'"Here's where I really am on this issue," [Ted] half whispers. "I think that probably, if I were 21 in this society, I would identify myself as a bisexual." After a weekend of Ted trying to convince me of his unambiguous devotion to his wife and kids, I'm at first too surprised to say anything.'

HERE is a reaction from CO Springs in the Denver Post.

For even more info, Ted Haggard has a one-hour documentary airing on TLC. 

And HERE is a link to This Beautiful City at Colorado College. If you go to 1:15:34, you'll hear the performance of the letter of resignation referenced in the GQ article. Take a listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment